Skin and Nipple Sparing Mastectomy
Considering a mastectomy?
If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer and may need a mastectomy, it’s important to explore all options. For eligible patients, we now perform skin and nipple sparing mastectomy.
In a traditional mastectomy, the nipple and the areola are removed, along with some of the surrounding skin. During a nipple sparing mastectomy, the incision is most commonly made around the areola or along the crease under the breast. The breast tissue is removed through the small opening that’s created, while the skin, including the nipple and areola, is preserved. The tissue that remains provides the best natural shape for an implant.
During a nipple sparing mastectomy:
• The skin, including the nipple and areola, is preserved
• The incision is made around the areola or along the crease under the breast
• The breast tissue is removed through the small opening that is created
• The remaining tissue provides the best shape for an implant
What to expect post-surgery:
• You’ll return home from the hospital in 1 to 3 days
• At-home care instructions may include arm exercises, bandage and drain care
• Talk to your surgeon about when you can return to your normal routine
*May vary depending on your surgeon’s discretion
Who is eligible?
Below are common reasons why you may not be eligible for a tissue-preserving technique
• If the tumor diameter is too large or larger than a comparative amount of surrounding breast tissue
• If the geometry of your breasts is not considered favorable for tissue-preserving techniques
• If there’s any question that the tumor cells are close to the skin
• If you’ve previously undergone breast radiation
• If you regularly smoke cigarettes
To schedule an appointment call (910) 295-0260.
Current patients may also request an appointment online using their My Patient Page.
Pinehurst Surgical’s General & Bariatric Surgery Center is proud to offer a nurses’ line at 910-215-2518 — feel free to call this number if you have any questions regarding a medical concern, and one of our Pinehurst, NC nurses should be available to assist you. Expect to provide the nurse with your name, address and date of birth, as well as any relevant information about your medications and pharmacy. Patients who have medical questions or concerns and are receiving care through the Rockingham office should contact a nurse at 910-417-3540.