Pinehurst Surgical Imaging Center is ACR (American College of Radiology) Accredited in Mammography and offers Mammograms for Pinehurst Surgical Patients
Did you know that a mammogram is one of the safest, most effective ways to screen for and diagnose breast cancer in women? In many instances, early detection of the disease can actually save a patient’s life.
At Pinehurst Surgical, we are committed to providing the very best women’s health care in Central North Carolina and beyond. All of our mammograms are performed by registered mammography technologists, and each one is examined by one of our skilled radiologists and reported to your doctor.
Our Pinehurst Surgical NC Women’s Care physicians and General Surgery physicians offer two types of breast exams:
- Screening Mammogram – This type of mammogram is offered to patients 40 or older with no signs of breast disease or a history of breast cancer.
- Diagnostic Mammogram – This type of mammogram is offered to patients who have symptoms and/or a history of breast cancer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a mammogram?
A mammogram (or mammography exam) is essentially a low dose radiation procedure of the breast used to diagnose breast disease including breast cancer in women.
When should I get a mammogram?
Pinehurst Surgical recommends getting on a regular schedule for mammograms.
The American Medical Association, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American College of Radiology all recommend a yearly mammography screening for women beginning at age 40. Your physician may advise starting mammogram exams prior to that age, particularly if you have a history of breast cancer or other breast diseases in your family.
How do I prepare for a mammogram?
Please follow the guidelines below to ensure a relaxed, comfortable appointment:
- Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment to complete the health information for your electronic medical record.
- On the day of your breast exam, do not wear deodorant or body powder under your arms or on your breasts.
- For your convenience, we recommend wearing two-piece clothing.
- Obtain prior mammograms and bring them with you to your appointment. If your mammogram was conducted at FirstHealth or Pinehurst Radiology, we would be glad to request those images for you.
How do I get my test results?
One of our Pinehurst NC radiologists will study your mammogram and report the results to your physician. Your physician will discuss the results with you and you will also receive a letter in the mail stating the results of your test.
How will I be billed?
You will receive two bills following your breast exam:
- One from Pinehurst Surgical
- One from the radiologist that reads your mammogram
- Please be prepared to pay your copay, deductible, or expected out-of-pocket expense at time of service.
Pinehurst Surgical is a multi-specialty clinic comprised of ten specialty centers located in a state-of-the-art surgical facility in Pinehurst, NC. We also have six additional locations in Laurinburg, Hamlet, Raeford, Rockingham, Sanford and Troy and serve patients throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, and beyond.