Local: (910) 295-6831
Toll Free: (800) 755-2500

Our Heritage

About Pinehurst Surgical Clinic   >   Our Heritage

1970s | Plastic & Facial Plastic Surgery Department is Formed

The ’70s were an innovative time for medicine in America. CAT scans, or CT scans, were introduced in 1972, the Arthroscope was used for the first time in 1970, revolutionizing surgery, and so much more. Medical advancements were happening within the walls of Pinehurst Surgical Clinic as well. A new department was added, Facial Plastic […]

1969 | History of Ear, Nose and Throat at Pinehurst Surgical Clinic

When the Orthopaedics department was formed at Pinehurst Surgical Clinic, it brought the total number of departments to three. The next department formed came shortly after which increased the total number of providers and staff to meet the ever-developing needs of the community and its population. That department was the Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) […]

1963 | Orthopaedics at Pinehurst Surgical Clinic

Orthopaedics was evolving quickly across the country when Dr. Louis Daniel arrived at Pinehurst Surgical Clinic in 1963 to open a third department to meet the growing local demand for specialists. “The idea of joint replacement was just beginning,” Dr. Daniel recalled. “There were partial joint replacements, but total joint opened up new possibilities for […]

1957 | Baby Makes Two: OB/GYN Department Is Formed

In the early 1900s there was no such thing as a specialty, and both doctors and surgeons would perform all-encompassing services to ensure the needs of the population were met. This rang true in Pinehurst. Both Dr. Clement Monroe and Dr. Michael Pishko, performed Obstetrics and Gynecology duties in between their other surgeries and clinical […]

1956 | The Start of Specialties: Urology

When Pinehurst Surgical Clinic was first founded in 1946, the doctors generally worked in all specialties performing various procedures. They would do everything from splinting a broken leg, to delivering babies, and staffing the emergency department. In 1956, that changed with the arrival of Dr. Duwayne Gadd, who created the first department at PSC, the […]

1946 | The Beginning: Dr. Clement Monroe

Before there was Pinehurst Surgical Clinic, before FirstHealth, and before Moore Regional Hospital, there was one doctor: Dr. Clement R. Monroe. He would not only play an instrumental role in the creation of what was then Moore County Hospital (MCH), but he was also the driving force behind the creation of Pinehurst Surgical Clinic, which […]